Kaieteur and Orinduik Falls
The Kaieteur Falls which was first seen by a European on April 29, 1870 is situated in the heart of Guyana on the Potaro River, a tributary of the Essequibo. The water of Kaieteur, one of the world’s natural wonders, flows over a sandstone conglomerate tableland into a deep gorge – a drop of 741 feet or 5 times the height of Niagara Falls.
There are no other falls in the world with the magnitude of the sheer drop existing at Kaieteur. Amerindian legend of the Patamona tribe has it that Kai, one of the tribe’s chiefs (after whom the falls is named), committed self sacrifice by canoeing himself over the falls. It was believed this would encourage the Great Spirit Makonaima to save the tribe from being destroyed by the savage Caribishi.
Kaieteur supports a unique micro environment with Tank Bromeliads, the largest in the world, in which the tiny Golden frog spends its entire life and the rarely seen Guiana Cock- of-the-rock nesting close by. The lucky visitor may also see the famous flights of the Kaieteur Swifts or Makonaima Birds which nest under the vast shelf of rock carved by the centuries of water, hidden behind the eternal curtain of falling water.
The Orinduik Falls is where the Ireng River thunders over steps and terraces of solid jasper, a semi precious stone. With a backdrop of the rolling grass covered hills of the Pakaraima Mountains, this is truly one of the most beautiful locations in Guyana’s hinterland.
Its name is derived from the Amerindian (Patamona) word, Orin, which is the name of an aquatic plant found in these falls. The Ireng River forms the border between Brazil and Guyana. In contrast to Kaieteur, Orinduik is ideally suited for swimming and you will find natural Jacuzzis as the falls tumble down the steps of Jasper.
Guyana’s most popular day trip takes in both of these spectacular falls. The trip departs from Ogle Airstrip and lasts 7 to 8 hours with two hours spent on the ground at each waterfall.
- Company Name: Wilderness Explorers
- Rate: US$ 345.00 per person.
- Pickup Time in Georgetown: 0830 – 0900h, Flight departs at 10:00h dependant on weather
- Rates Include: lunch, water, juice, VAT, Kaieteur warden, return transfers in the environs of Georgetown and national park registration
- RATES are subject to change without notice.
- Note: Flights to Kaieteur and Orinduik Falls are operated on chartered aircraft and all flights have a minimum passenger restriction. Therefore, any booking to Kaieteur and Orinduik Falls is subject to a minimum of 12 passengers being available to travel. In most cases we are able to fill flights, especially if scheduled for a weekend. However, in the rare case that we cannot meet the required numbers you will be offered the option of rescheduling the trip to another day during your stay, a full refund for that portion of the trip, or an alternative trip.
- Contact : +592 227 7698 E: [email protected] W: wilderness-explores.com
- Address: 141 Fourth Street, Campbellville, Georgetown.